Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blame Emily For This



This is the kind of mood I am in today- a bit red necky, a bit tired, and a bit impish. I cannot possibly write a sweet, heart touching letter to one of my children, I am pondering over this because Emily has given us an assignment. Go check it out and play. Yesterday I got THIS in my inbox, which I maturely mentally responded to with "Sure, it is easy for Max. How can I compete with this! My poor children- if only they had Max Lucado for a parent." Today I am pulling up my tough girl boot straps and submitting this entry- off the top of my head and straight from my flawed but ever lovin' heart.

Dear Son:

Do you remember the time I was in my non dairy phase and made you drink that glass of goat's milk? I remember crossly telling you to stop whiningand crying about the taste because you had had it before and drank it fine, so just get on with it! Only later did I look in the carton and discover that I forced you to drink several ounces of rotten goat's milk. When I apologized in tears, you looked up at me with those big 4 year old blue eyes and forgave me. Maybe someday I will forgive myself!

While I am at it, I may as well apologize for some other stuff. In my defense, raising a little boy is hard when you are a female. We just don't think the same. Since you are my first boy, it was probably a little rough on both of us. From the time your broad, little, bruised body was placed in my shaking hands, I realized that you were already vastly different from your sister. I am thankful that we both have a quirky sense of humour.

I had the best intentions when I taught you to dab your little male member while potty training, instead of using the shake method. I can now see that you use the shake method when I look at the shower door next to the toilet.

I'm sorry if I wasn't more enthusiastic when you burped in my face so hard it made my ears ring.

I hope it wasn't too terribly embarassing when you laughed at your friend's crotch injury and I told you not to call that part b*lls, but made you repeat the t*st*cle word after me AND then made you go check your buddy out. I now realize that this is not a man's way, and will try to do better in the future.

While there is much more to add, I am grateful that my parenting is covered with God's grace and I know that He IS enough to make up for all my mistakes.

Love and kisses- oops, I mean, a big high five,

from your Mom

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY LAST POST AND ENTER MY CONTEST.

9 comments:

carrie said...

blame Emily... the things we do for that girl!

This had me cracking up! Such that I can with scarcely a voice left. That is some funny stuff, and only because I am right there!! Boys!

Anonymous said...

This was a fun letter...honest, real and enjoyable. I think I made my son drink spoiled milk once too. My first visit to your blog...enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Great letter.
I did the exact same thing with one of my daughters with a glass of apple juice. Except, it was (unbeknownst to me) apple cider vinegar, which I had bought by accident because it was on the same shelf, same bottle and label.
We have one boy and three girls. What a difference! Their ways our not ours :)

Sharon Brumfield said...

I'll have to go check out the other post you were talking about--but this was hilarious.
I sooooo identified with the shower wall. Will they never learn?
Evidently not-I have had experience not with the ages of 2 to 92--and they are all the same.

Maybe in heaven there will be no bathrooms to clean. I mean really, we will all be perfect then--right? :)

His Girl said...

hysterical post! touching apology... oh the things our poor oldest children have to endure as the 'guinea pigs' of the family!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I LOVE this letter. It is PERFECT! I'm not even going to write one now. You're too good. :)

Katie said...

You made him dab it with toilet paper????

Halfmoon Girl said...

Yes Kathleen, I made him dab with toilet paper. I think the Skipper must have been away fishing or something, otherwise, he would have a had something to say about it. BUT, I still don't think that dab method is a bad idea. It would save on a LOT of splatter!!

Unknown said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!! I have a little boy turning three on Saturday, and being a single mom trying to raise him and his sister (my husband passed away 2+ yrs. ago), I'm afraid I'm probably warping him for life! We "dab," too! haha!!! Really enjoyed reading this post!!