Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Girls' Night


My daughter and I had our first Secret Keeper Girl date tonight. She was absolutely thrilled with our fancy tea party with china tea cups, chocolate eclairs, and Earl Grey Tea. I gave her a hand massage with some really nice mandarin body butter beforehand. The object of the lesson was to think about and discuss how we present our value- like a styrofoam, everyday ceramic, or a china cup. We talked about how our value remains the same in God's eyes, but how the world will judge us on how we present ourselves. I promised to spend more time in God's Word each day, to be careful with my tone when talking to my family, to drink 8 glasses of water a day and to lay off sugar and refined foods. It was a really special time- right up her alley. She loves the finer things in life. Unfortunately, she got a mother who is not quite so elegant. I am here to teach her about being REAL, I guess. I did my best to be grown up and sophisticated-I raced in after soccer practice, threw off my sweaty duds, pulled on a lovely wrap around dress and high heels (ok- they are actually like clogs), put on dangly earrings, make up, and did my hair poufy. I knew she would get a kick out of all that. I mowed through my eclair like there was no tomorrow- She sat there daintily nibbling hers. I drank tea from my little china tea cup in 3 gulps while she sweetly sipped. Though I may be a little unorthodox in my method, I think that the point of the date got across. We are looking forward to our next one- I will keep you posted.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect evening for you and your daughter. I'll bet she remembers it always.

justjuls said...

This is so sweet!
I love the pictures.
Your daughter will always remember the time you took with her -
Being one who also does not feel very "girly" or refined - I know you can still be a great example to that precious young lady!

Chelle said...

I love your pictures. Mommy/daughter time is so important, especially when you're surrounded by boys. :-)

Unknown said...

Jane, you look gorgeous! What an awesome idea!! I've been needing to take my girls - separately - on a date, just for special time alone with Mom. It's hard with 4 little kids to give them individual attention, and unless I schedule a date, away from the house, I'm not sure it will happen!
diaryof1.com

Gayle said...

What fun! I've got the book sitting on my nightstand...better pull it out! You look like you have a great relationship with your daughter.

Sharon Brumfield said...

What a beautiful picture of the two of you. What great memories these occasions will make.
Keith took Julia on a date when she turned 8. When she turns 12 they will have them once a month.
The purpose--to teach her how other males should treat her.And that she has someone who thinks she is beautiful just the way she is.